Multipurpose Desktop Personal Fabrication
The FABtotum is a multipurpose tool, the world's first Low
Cost Desktop Personal Fabrication device that can operate a
wide range of computer controlled manufacturing (CNC) and
3D-scanning processes. Print, Cut, Mill, Scan, Manipulate.
Rinse and repeat! A seamless interaction between the
physical and the digital world. While current 3D printers are defined as personal
fabricators, there is so much more to personal fabrication than 3D printing alone!
The FABtotum allows anyone to explore the endless possibilities of a multipurpose fabrication device.
Additive 3D Printing
The FABtotum is capable of 3D printing objects with the FFF technique
(Fused Filament Fabrication). Experimenting with designs and forms has
never been cheaper and faster. The high speed PLA/ABS printing is the
best way to go for a quick design prototype. With an improved precision,
a good-looking prototype is possible as well. Our motion bearings and a new belt driving mechanism allow for smooth and fast prints.
With a very high build volume but relatively small general size (The FABtotum is only a 360x360x360mm cube!), it has a ~25% Print-to-Printer Size ratio - one of the highest ever.
Removing printed objects from The FABtotum is really easy thanks to the
removable printing plane. Fully automatic bed leveling makes aligning the print surface a 1-click process.
The built-in heated bed guarantees a smooth printing
process and higher quality of the print with just a minute of heating time. There is no need to use duct tape or
any other sticky solutions! The glass platform is easy to clean and more scratch
resistant than common polymer-based surfaces seen in other 3D printers.
3 And 4 Axis Subtractive Manufacturing
Sometimes 3D printing is not enough. The FABtotum features a Dual head,
with an engraving/milling spindle motor ready to use in a wide range of machine
operations on many common materials including light wood, thin aluminium or brass alloys.
Thanks to a sturdy structure and unconventional technical solutions, The FABtotum
can turn into subtractive machine without compromising 3D printing volumes or
printing speeds. Switching to subtractive mode is easy: just remove and tilt
the double sided printing plane, then expose the milling plane with the built-in
fixtures to secure your workpiece. Along with 3/4 Axis Subtractive Machining,
The FABtotum is capable of 3-axis hybrid Additive/Subtractive manufacturing,
meaning you can work in dual mode without losing the position or having
to move the workpiece.
- 3D milling on light
materials (balsa, foam, light wood)
- PCB milling : make your own
- 2.5 D Profiling (cutting) on
light materials (balsa, foam, light wood)
- CNC Pre-Drilling
- 4 Axis machining on light
- 4 Axis Engraving
The FABtotum is capable of scanning solid objects with its built-in laser scanner
(quick scan, medium quality) and one dimension (Z) touch probe digitizer (high accuracy, slow).
Using this feature you will be able to unlock a whole new world: scan objects, modify or duplicate them,
create new objects with foam or modelling clay, scan them for further editing in any modelling software, print
them in additive mode or cut/mill in subtractive mode. The possibilities are endless!
Most low-cost 3D laser scanners cannot acquire small objects (such as a coin) or transparent or dark objects.
On the other hand a physical digitizer cannot acquire complex objects without at least 4 axis of freedom.
The FABtotum can do both.
Scanning objects means never running out of objects and shapes, you will be able to experiment
with shapes or reverse-engineer objects around you by acquiring their dimensions with great detail.
Freely print your scanned objects in The FABtotum Personal Fabricator or any other 3D
printer without restrictions or DRM checks of any kind.
A Fully Networked Experience
The FABtotum is capable of printing autonomously (without being connected to a computer), from cabled LAN, Wireless LAN and even remotely from the Internet (Your Network must be properly configured for this), thanks to the FAB UI, the FABtotum User interface. Also, users and developers have access to a well known development ecosystem, the Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Linux distribution to develop more applications. The FABtotum feature a customized web management app, SSH and VNC server on the local network, so with one authorization code you can access all the functions of the machine: 3D Printing, 3D scanning, Milling, Diagnostics.
All these function are accessible not only from anywhere in your local network, but also on any device with web browsing capabilities. Enjoy the pleasure of printing remotely from your smartphone, tablet, your windows Pc, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS. You can use touch screens devices, mouse, keyboard - you name it!
Personalize Your FABtotum
The FABtotum is open to personalization: thanks to the overall structure and the detachable head, The FABtotum can accommodate another subtractive or additive head on top, e.g. a more powerful motor, a small laser diode module for paper cutting, a pick and place clamp or a syringe for scientific applications (or to make pastry!). Heads can be developed and even sold freely. FABtotum could be even used for complex coil winding. You could laser-cut parts, mill a double-sided PCB or even do some 4-axis plasma cutting...if you feel extreme. It's up to you to experiment!
Use all those techniques together to get the best out of The FABtotum. The FABtotum is available in various colors to fit perfectly in your studio, home, lab or office. The FABtotum is a small 36,6 cm cube which means it does not use all your precious desk space. All the printing material is stored inside the machine, leaving your desk free of filament coils too.
The FABtotum Personal Fabricator is meant to push the boundaries of personal fabrication. To do this we want to involve people in the design process as much as possible and allow them to modify and improve the machine to fit their own needs without restrictions. FABtotum allow the design and commercialization of third party heads to expand the machine capabilities.
The full documentations, including drawings and the reproduction of The FABtotum is allowed and encouraged under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Sharealike 3.0 Unported Licence.
- Full Schematics and instructions available online.
- Open source Firmware and Software environment.
- Easily customizable, expandable, easy to assemble.
- Powered by a RAspberry Pi Mod B + Arduino ™ Derivate/Compatible
Open Source Physical Computing Platform.
- Uses industry standards and Open Source software.
- Third party heads or parts can be built and sold freely to fit
on the FABtotum
"To teach that a comparatively few men are responsible for the greatest forward steps of mankind is the worst sort of nonsense"
The FABtotum allows low cost personal fabrication without compromises. Finding the right conditions where you can have both decent subtractive and additive manufacturing in one small cube is not an easy task. We think we reached a good compromise between speed precision and strength thanks to unconventional movement transmission methods and structural solutions.
The FABtotum has been developed from industrial-grade components, wich are more reliable than ever.
- Classification Personal Fabricator, 1st Generation
- Capabilities: Hybrid Manufacturing, Digital Acquisition
- Movement: 4 axis (5th axis port available)
- I/O: Usb Host, Wifi B/g/n, Lan
- Control: Standalone Printer (networked web server)
- Size: 366x366x366mm
- Weight: ~12kg
- Available Colors: Red,Black,White (Matte Finish)
- Illumination : On-spot Illumination, Ambient light
Additive Mode (3D printing)
- Printing volume (additive) : 214x236x242mm
- Z layer size: 50,100 micrometers
- Auto bed Leveling : 1-click fully automated
- Z layer increments : 0.47 micrometers
- Print to size-ratio: ~25%
- Supported Filaments: 1.75mm PLA,ABS filaments
- Max Temperatures: Nozzle:230°C, Bed 100°C
- Nozzle : 0.35mm J-Head
- Printing Speeds : up to 300mm/s
- Speeds (rapids) : up to 500mm/s
- Heating Speeds : 1 Minute
- Cooling : Fan/Turbine twin cooling system
- Heated Bed : Glass Heated Bed (Double-face platform)
Subtractive Mode (milling,engraving)
- Milling volume : 214x236x[milling bit height] mm
- Milling Motor : 200W Brushless motor, Automatic RPM correction
- Fan cooling : Twin fan cooling system
- Working Plane : Structural Aluminum plate, with Fixtures (Double-face platform)
- 4th axis : 4 axis chuck: 0.0017 deg/step resolution
- Illumination : Working area LED,ambient
- Dust Control : printable vacuum tube holder
- Modes : Rotating Laser scan, Sweep laser scan, Z-Probe Digitizer
- Scan volume :Up to 3D printing volume depending on object and used mode(s)
- Camera : 5Mp, 2592x1944 Raspberry Camera
- Fabrication Area : Enclosed
- Safety switches :Front Panel door, side panels doors
- voltage control : Automatic stepper consumption control
- Overvoltage protection : 120/240V Fuse
- Homing Endstops : On all 3 Axis
- Safety Endstops : On all 3 Axis
- Safety Config : Costumizable from the FAB UI
- License : Open Source (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)
- Interface : FAB UI, open source web panel
- FAB UI Compatibility :PC,Tablet,Smartphones (Responsive web interface)
- Mods & Plugins :Built in plug-in installer and updater tool
- Updates : Automatic with internet connectivity (updates are not mandatory)
- Board : FABtotum control board "Totumduino"
- Onboard Memory :8GB SDHC (installed OS included)
- I/O : Usb Host, Wifi B/g/n, Lan
- Illumination :Custumizable RGB ambient lights
- FABtotum Personal Fabricator
- Hybrid Head v1.0
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Cord (according to destination)
- Quick Setup sheet
- Welcome Kit
- 5m PLA test filament